What is Atheism and 10 Myths they believe?
Atheism is the view that God does not exist. Atheism is not a new development. Psalm 14:1, written by David around 1000 B.C., mentions atheism: “The fool says in his heart, ‘There is no God.’” Recent statistics show an increasing number of people claiming to be atheists, up to 10 percent of people worldwide. So why are more and more people becoming atheists? Is atheism truly the logical position atheists claim it to be? -Got Questions
by Kirk Hastings
1) “Physical things can create themselves out of nothing for no reason. Science tells us that this is how the entire universe came about.”
– Science tells us no such thing. Science, reason, physical evidence, and common sense all tell us the exact opposite.
2) “Science tells us that the first living cell somehow managed to generate itself from non-living matter.”
– This statement has no support from true science. True science actually tells us the opposite: that this is impossible.
3) “Science tells us that ALL the assorted, complex living things that are alive today somehow ‘evolved’ from a single original simple living cell by a series of random genetic mistakes (i.e., mutations).”
– There is no objective evidence, scientific or otherwise, that supports this purely speculative, philosophical, statistically impossible position.
4) “People are basically good.”
– All the evidence around us that we see every day clearly shows that human beings are basically selfish, arrogant, and morally corrupted. They must be taught to be unselfish, moral, and considerate of others.
5) “There is no such thing as objective right and wrong.”
– Everything we know, believe, and experience every day tells us that this idea is false. Even people who say they believe this do not live as if it is true.
6) “The Bible is full of myths.”
– This is a statement from ignorance and bias. The Bible is full of documented history. Ask any professional Biblical archaeologist or historical scholar (who is not intellectually biased by preconceived notions based on personal feelings and opinions, rather than supportable facts).
7) “If a Christian does anything morally wrong, that makes him a hypocrite, and proves that Christianity is not true.”
– This is a total misunderstanding of what Biblical Christianity is, and what Christians are. ALL people are sinners, and fall short of God’s moral perfection (Romans 3:23; 1 John 1:8, etc.). That includes Christians, who are still morally imperfect humans just like everyone else. The Bible nowhere teaches that a person ever becomes morally perfect when he becomes a Christian. The Bible claims that Jesus Christ was the only perfect human being who ever lived. The fact that Christians continue to make mistakes (just like anyone else) actually proves that the Bible is correct in its assessment of fallen human nature.
8) “If God created everything, then what created God? The fact that no one can answer that question means that God must be an invention of human imagination, and must not exist.”
– Totally insufficient, disingenuous, dishonest argument. The arguer is still left with no explanation as to where the world (and human beings) originally came from. It also ignores the fact that the God of the Bible is self-defined as being eternal (that is, unique and uncreated).
9) “All religions are the same.”
– Easily disprovable by rational research. All religions have vastly different histories, backgrounds, and belief systems. And they all believe in very different gods (or for some, no god at all).
10) “There are thousands of gods. Christians disbelieve in all of them except one. As an atheist I simply believe in one less god than they do.”
– Correct. But this totally irrelevant ‘argument’ explains, proves, or disproves exactly nothing.
Connect with Amos37